Sunday, May 15, 2011

Video Blogging, My Story Part 2.

So, last week I interviewed my close friend Hayley, who is a well-known youtuber, and I posted the audio of the interview, but as promised here is the video:



And Hayley made a parody of the interview here:


But, still, I'm left asking myself...what is everyone else's personal reasons for video blogging? So, it was a long shot, but I decided to ask my subscribers.


And, they answered.
I've gotten a few video responses, these are the only ones I've cleared permission with so far, so take a look at what Kai and Clare have to say:




So, where did we leave off? Right, I met a fellow videoblogger at orientation. This girl, that I mentioned beforehand, is named Hayley Hoover and as of this blog post she has 49,865 subscribers. Hayley spear-headed the collab channel movement, and is highly humorous but also insightful and her self-proclaimed painful high school experience has given teenagers all over the world hope that there is life beyond the lockers. Or something.
Hayley and I met at interesting points in our lives, we had finally left our high schools behind and could fully appreciate ourselves and find people to simply exist around, something that's a rare feat if you think about it. Finally content on finding more people in the world with my sense of humor I concluded that I loved college, and you know what? I did. Fall quarter freshman year very well may have been one of the best periods of my life. Was it because I had found friendship? Was it because I was out? I think it was a mix of things, but I began to realize that I'm at a place in my life where I can try to right my wrongs...so I sought out to do that.

If I had said befriending a famous youtuber came without benefits I'd be lying. But, it wasn't notoriety it was something that surpassed what I could have expected-friendship. For the first time in my life, people were listening to what I had to say and I realized that my story had gone unsung for far too long, and I looked the camera in the eye, and as out of fashion as it was I told the truth without fear of consequence. Soon, youtube knew everything from my sexuality, shattered family, daddy issues and my hopes and fears. My storytelling often left people speechless, but I didn't care-if I could inspire a moment of true thought in this sea of liking and stars and subscribers.

I befriended so many good people, people who didn't know what to think of me, but good people none the less. With the truth and friendship on my side, how could I lose? I ran into the storm, expecting my family to take my news well.

I was wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Whoa, impressive work. I love how willingly open the video blogger community is.

    ReplyDelete